About the WCWRC
West Central Women’s Resource Centre empowers women, and their community, to move from where they are to where they want to be, by providing responsive programming, facilitating knowledge sharing and connection, and contributing to culture shift and policy transformation.
Our vision is a sustainable community that is equitable and peaceful, where women’s knowledge and experience are valued and respected – recognizing that we cannot build it without first having the courage to imagine it.
Where we are:
640 Ellice Ave
Monday – 9:00am to 4:30pm
Tuesday – 12:30pm to 8:00pm
(4-8pm open to families/male partners)
Wednesday – 9:00am to 4:30pm
Thursday – 12:30pm to 8:00pm
Friday – 9:00am to 4:30pm
Saturday – 8:00am – 12:00pm
Our Way of Working
We work toward achieving our vision using a Women Centered Approach, informed by the lived experience of the diverse women in our community. We also use the following to guide our work, words and actions:
Taking steps to reduce harm in people’s lives by valuing where they are and helping them move to a place of less harm.
Working simultaneously in many spheres (the individual, family, community and systemic).
Community Economic Development
Supporting local goods, services, investment, employment, decision-making and skill building while promoting neighbourhood sustainability, human dignity and the environment.
We value and celebrate our community’s rich diversity of identities and perspectives. We strive to foster a culture of belonging and work to advance equity within the centre and the wider community.
We work toward achieving our vision by partnering with others. We believe in being an active member of local, provincial and national organizations, networks and initiatives that impact our community.
Where we're involved
- Braids of Strength
- Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness – Women’s Homelessness Advisory Committee
- CCEDNet Gathering
- Childcare Coalition of Manitoba
- Ellice Street Festival
- Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) Advocates Network
- End Homelessness Winnipeg Reintegration Working Group
- For Every Family Initiative
- Gender Based Violence committee
- Health Outreach and Community Support (HOCS)
- Housing First Sector Leadership Table
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Integration Summit and committees
- Make Poverty History Manitoba
- Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations (MANSO)
- March for Peace
- National Gender Equality Network
- Neighbourhood Immigrant Settlement Workers Network
- Network of Organizations for War Affected Newcomers (NOWAN)
- Pan-Canadian Voice on Women’s Housing Advisory Circle
- Pride Parade
- Right to Housing provincial and federal working groups
- Winnipeg Street Census Committee
- UN Safe Cities Initiative
- West Broadway Seniors Network
- West Central Connect
- West Central Leadership Table
- West End Cleanup
- Winnipeg Rental Network
- Winnipeg Street Health Committee
- Working in Social Enterprise
The WCWRC started in 1999 as a 3-year project (Women’s Empowerment Project) in response to the high number of women in our neighbourhood living in poverty. Since that time the Centre has grown to offer a variety of support and services to the whole community. The Centre has always been guided and informed by women living in our neighbourhood.
We would like to extend our thanks to all those that assist us in our work:
Our volunteers for their dedication and hard work;
Our partners and the other community organizations working in our neighbourhood;
Our funders that help make our work possible:
- Assiniboine Credit Union
- Bell Let’s Talk
- Building Sustainable Communities
- Canadian Women’s Foundation
- End Homelessness Winnipeg – Reaching Home
- Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada
- Family Violence Prevention Program
- Jewish Foundation of Manitoba
- Manitoba Housing
- Province of Manitoba – Green Team
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Women and Gender Equality, Canada
- United Way
- Winnipeg Foundation
Board of Directors
Cate Friesen (Chair)
Amy Wang (Vice-Chair)
Nicole Barry (Treasurer)
The West Central Women’s Resource Centre, Inc. is a charity registered with the Canada Revenue Agency.
Charity number: 813522679RR0001.